Ranganthittu: Birdwatchers' Paradise

Ranganthittu is the biggest bird sanctuary of Karnataka and nearest to Bangalore. I planned to visit this place on Sunday, March 17, 2013.  Saturday I googled for some basic information like, how to go, where to eat, what to see etc. While googling I found that March is not the best time to visit the place. But same time came across few reviews which gave me hope that I can expect enough bird that won’t disappoint my visit.
As I always prefer train over bus for travel, chose the rail route to visit Ranganthittu. Charged my camera battery, checked my camera, lenses, tripod and I was ready for the next morning train at 7:00 am.
Train started on time from Bangalore. Felt little bored because most of the people around were Kannada speaking and I was not able to interact with them. The best part of the train journey was missing. As I looked out of the train window, alternate swathe of agricultural fields and small residential setups on both the sides of track rekindled me the uncountable cherished childhood train journeys form Rosera (my home town in Bihar) to Khagaria (my Maternal home).
Because of two crossings, train got delayed for 30 minutes and arrived at Srirangpattna around 9:45 am.  Got down and inquired a railways staff who was showing flags to the trains. This Bengali chap gave me two alternates to reach to the sanctuary.
Route -1 was to walk along the railway track for around 800 meters in the same direction that of the train, cross a little rail bridge over river Kavery and reach to the Crossing. From the Crossing you can get local private/state buses or hire an auto (auto won’t be frequent from this point) or if you love walking, look at the weather and continue your walk.
Route-2 was to get out of the station negotiate with an autowala (I negotiated for Rs. 80) and reach directly to the entrance of the bird sanctuary.
If you are visiting in group and want to have fun I would suggest Route-1. You can have fun walking and balancing yourself on the rail and playing with the stones. I can assure you of the fun because I had done this in my childhood many a times and simply loved it. If you are alone or with your family, you should choose Route-2.
The main concern for commuting is, you shall rarely find auto from the bird sanctuary to return back. If you just want to go there, do boating and see the birds and return, the autowala will be ready to wait for an hour without the waiting charges. And you could return in the same auto.
Image
I took Route-2 without any confusion and reached the sanctuary around 10:20 am. Entrance ticket costs for Rs. 50 and includes the camera charges also. Walk along and see the directions to reach to the boating point. The major thing to do there is boating. It will take you closer to the birds, bats, fishes and crocodiles, sometime as close as few hands distance.


Boating

Once you reach the boating point, the boating guy will give two options. First, Rs. 50 common boat for 8-10 people and second, a separate boat for Rs. 1000. They will say that the common boating will end for some 15-20 minutes and the separate one for 40-45 minute. I would suggest go for separate boat only if you need extreme privacy or visiting the sanctuary on a professional photography tour.
Boating charges for foreigners is Rs. 300.
If you are concerned about the duration of boating for common boat, then here is the solution. The guy who will row the boat will ask for some extra money and will insure you for the enough time. So Rs. 50 extra for this.
Booked boating ticket for Rs. 50 and reached to the boating point. Took out my tour companion- Nikon D5100, an entry level DSLR, fit it with 70-300mm lens (the max zoom lens I got) and I was ready.
Got the front seat in the boat, good for taking pictures, as I can see and move both sides as well as front. Saw and snapped Painted Stork, Openbill Stork, Spoonbill Stork, Pied Kingfisher, Great Egret, Great/Indian Cormorant, big fruit bats, Magar Crocodile and other birds. It was nice moment to see Openbill Stork feeding its babies and fortunately almost closely snapped it as well.
The boating went for some 30-40 minutes and finally I end up being a happy chap with some really good snaps.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Image


Image

Image

Image


Image




The location is peaceful and you can spend some more time sitting on the bench under bamboo shade observing the birds flying and playing or lying down on the grass. There is a small Museum kind of setup also named after Salim Ali, the birdman of India.
There is only one restaurant inside, with limited options. Unwillingly I got a watery-mausambi juice glass. I felt good for keeping maggi in by box and that served my stomach well. I would suggest to have something to eat and don’t rely on the restaurant there.
During boating I met Vignesh a mechanical engineer from Bangalore. Chatted for a while and came to know that he will be returning to Bangalore on his bike. Started around 1:30 pm with him and reached Bangalore around 5 taking multiple snacks and juice breaks. Thanks to him for the lift from Ranganthittu to Bangalore.


How to Reach

From Mysore: Bus/Auto (Distance around 19 kms.)
From Bangalore:
Buses always available from satellite bus stand (Distance around 125 kms.).
Train: Srirangapatna is the nearest railway station (approx 5km   from the sanctuary). 


Best Time to Visit

November, December, January. But hopefully you won’t be disappointed any time because many of the migratory birds have made Ranganthittu their permanent home.


Sanctuary Timings

8.30 am to 6.00 pmMorning hours are always good to visit.


Where to Eat

Only one restaurant inside. If possible bring own food.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doddahotrangappa Hills: The Misty Beauty!

Devaramane: A Heavenly Delight

Kodi Bengre: A Solitary Beauty